Sunday, March 10, 2013

Homemade Yeast Doughnuts

What do we do on a rainy Sunday, EAT! Last night we were watching the cooking channel and Michael decided he wanted homemade doughnuts for breakfast. So since I get up a lot earlier than he does, I got started about 6am. I googled Alton Browns doughnut recipe that we had watched on TV the last night. First off I don't have a kitchen aid mixer. ( which is now on my birthday want list, in red I might add) I was making it using a hand mixer followed by some kneading and it wasn't looking like it was going to be a light and fluffy doughnut to me. I decided that while this batch of dough was raising I would search for another recipe. I found it and the plus side is I can use my bread maker! So here goes! Clean up mess # 1 and start on mess # 2. It is now 7:30am and I'm starting all over.


 If I didn't love Michael so much, I would have probably just gave up but the way to a mans heart is through his stomach, right? ♥

All the ingredients are in the bread machine and not the wait- 1 1/2 hours for the cycle to end.

 I peeped in a few minutes before it was done and thought...oh ya, this looks fluffy to me!

 SCORE!
Beep - times up roll these sweet treats out and get to frying! Notice my hole cutter, it's an old pill bottle. This has been in use for several years!
Drop a few in the 350 degrees oil and get ready for some glazing. My mouth is watering!
I'm glazing some with the glaze recipe that is included and a few with a chocolate glaze.

1/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1tbsp light corn syrup
1 tbsp butter

Melt in microwave for 30 seconds and stir until smooth.

Here's the doughnut recipe as well:

 Homemade Yeast Doughnuts for the Bread Machine
  • 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
  • 2 tablespoons warm water
  • 3/4 cup lukewarm milk
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 eggs
  • 3 tablespoons shortening
  • 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 quart vegetable oil for frying
        Glaze:
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 tablespoons hot water
  1. Place the first 8 ingredients into your bread machine in the order recommended in the users manual (Mine suggests all liquid first, sugars next, flour and yeast last). Turn on and set to dough cycle setting.
  2. Once the dough cycle is complete, turn the dough out onto a floured surface and roll out to 1/2 inch thickness. Using a floured doughnut / biscuit cutter, cut into desired shapes.
  3. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in confectioners’ sugar and vanilla until smooth. Remove from heat, and stir in hot water one tablespoon at a time until the icing is somewhat thin, but not watery. Set aside.
  4. Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large heavy skillet to 350 degrees. Slide doughnuts into the hot oil using a wide spatula. Turn doughnuts over as they rise to the surface. Fry doughnuts on each side until golden brown. Remove from hot oil, to drain on a wire rack. Dip doughnuts into the glaze while still hot, and set onto wire racks to drain off excess.
Now for the grand finale!
There's not a better way to spend a Sunday than piled up on the couch with a hot cup of coffee and a plate of doughnuts!
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment