Saturday, December 20, 2014

Modern to country charm! !

Yep, you read the title right!

After my recent move, my gorgeous slate top tall dining room table and chairs was way to big for my kitchen so a change needed to be made.

SOOOO- what better time to build a farmhouse table, right?  Well. my original "want" was to build it out of 2" thick barn wood but with all the nails, my builder aka ( Ron) wouldn't cut  barn boards. So off to menards I go.

I was able to save a lot since I already had 4 chunky legs to use! I bought my 2x6 pine boards, 2x4's, polycrilic, dark walnut stain and the other goodies to make this happen.

Here's the link I used to make my  table. I made mine a little smaller though ( again, trying to save some room in my kitchen.)

I had to keep stopping by to catch some sneak peeks at Rons progress. Oh and as he started he told me my wood was a little warped ( bad move on my part) but it is a farm house table so its not going to be perfect. BUT I will say if you don't want it bowed be sure to pick straight boards. Mine were almost there but the wood was a teenie bit damp. Boo hiss.








Then I had to find some chairs since I only have 1. This was not as easy as I thought it was going to be. After hitting all the second hand stores I finally found 3 mismatched chairs to go with the one that I had.
 

A couple coats of chalk paint on the chairs and table sides and legs, and now its time to work on the seats!

Now on to the next fun part, covering the chair pads. I wanted to use flour sacks but was sticking out at this as well so I decided to make my own! I tea stained a sheet, doubled it up and transferred the images I found online via waxed paper. Can you believe it! Waxed paper works awesome!!!! Click  here for the tutorial for doing this!

Now to remove the old fabric and put on the new! Wowza, I came across an old chair for sure, straw bottom??

One good coat of sealer and chairs are done.

Hmmmm I want this to look like old barn wood so I got out the hammer, chisel, screws and a chain. This was what I will call, take out your frustrations on the table part :)

Some sandpaper scuffs on the table legs and I'm almost done!
Now some dark walnut stain and table is done!

 I will go back and seal the legs and table top with polycrilic a different day since its snowing a little and I cant drag this heavy beast outside by myself.

I made a centerpiece out of a 2" piece of barn wood with holes drilled in for the flicker tea lights.

LOVE my newest addition to my home, hope you do too.



No comments:

Post a Comment