Friday, April 4, 2014

Inspired!

I was recently looking for some material to reupholster a chair and came across a craft that inspired me. So off I go to Hobby Lobby for a few supplies. 

12 x 24 canvas ( not on sale, no problem 40% coupon, score! ) 
decoupage ( I used Matte Mod Podge, love this stuff! ) 
paint ( phone call to mom turned up a whole tote full) 
paint brushes ( I had these on hand, I used a 1" fan style and a small #10 shader)
printed vintage letters, old dictionary pages, old book pages, old music, etc. You get the point,right?
vinyl quote of choice - I found this one while shopping for supplies, and contacted my Etsy gal for a price. 15.00 plus shipping, well, I think that'll work! Not to mention that her work is great! Click on the link ( my Etsy gal)  to check her work out! 

I cut my pages to look older by wetting the edges and giving it a quick tear. Then lay them out how you want them positioned on your surface. Time to get a little sticky! Paint decoupage by applying a thin even coat. You'll need to apply 3 or 4 coats to give it a nice hold. Let dry 5-6 hours in between coats.

Time to position your vinyl quote. Be careful if you are using small letters as they can rip apart easy. 

I then painted a Poppy ( I was pretty impressed with the way it turned out, I haven't painted anything in YEARS )  I chose a poppy to go along with my vintage art piece because Poppies symbolize the departed who fought for freedom. The poppy was chosen to be the symbol of remembrance because it was the only other living thing that survived during the war. With every warm season It brought hope, life, color and reassurance to those who were still in war fighting to free their people. So with my old letters, It made me think of war time and letters that were lost during wartime. 

 I added the frame around the canvas because I didn't put my pages to cover the edges.( nest time, I will pay better attention) 

My total project cost me roughly 22.00 since I had some of the supplies on hand. 




This was a lot of fun to create and even more fun to display in my home!  Follow my blog to see what I come up with next! Here's a few upcoming projects -  hint - I have 2 old french doors and Im looking for an old dresser.....stay tuned! 

No comments:

Post a Comment